Bodyboarding is a fun and easy to learn water sport for people of all ages. If you’re ready to ride the waves but aren’t prepared to invest in an expensive surfboard, bodyboarding is a great way to experience the waves.
With so many models on the market, looking through the best bodyboards for your specific needs is not an easy task. We’ll introduce you to the best bodyboards available, so you can make an informed decision before purchasing a bodyboard.
While we think the best bodyboard is the Wavestorm’s 40″ bodyboard, take a look to see if you agree!
The Best Body Boards Are:
If you’re shopping for a bodyboard, you might feel overwhelmed by all of the choices. No need to worry; we’ve got you covered. Let’s dive in!
Wavestorm 40″ Body Board – Best Overall
- 2-pack of 40-inch bodyboards with Superior EPS grade foam
- Contoured textured decks designed to support riders and provide a firm grip
- Durable and solid yet smooth and lightweight
- Preinstalled leash plug with a removable wrist leash
- Speed slick bottoms skin for gliding smoothly over the waves
Wavestorm is one of the most recognized names in watersport for a good reason—they produce high-quality products. Wavestorm’s 40″ bodyboard 2-pack is no exception. The bodyboard’s textured deck provides generous support to riders.
If you like soft bodyboards, you’ll enjoy the Wavestorm’s ample foam. The EPS core makes the board very strong. Wave storm has made safety a priority, equipping this bodyboard with a preinstalled leash plug. All you have to do is attach the leash so you can hook the board to your wrist.
The tail’s crescent shape improves the bodyboard’s grip making it easy to move through the waves. The board’s slick bottom allows you to glide across the waves quickly. This bodyboard is lightweight, durable, and floats effortlessly.
You get two bodyboards for a reasonable price when you purchase the Wavestorm bodyboard, so you’ll always have an extra on hand for a friend. If you’re looking for a high-performance bodyboard, Wavestorm’s 40″ bodyboard is worth considering. With the Wavestorm, you get two quality bodyboards for a great price, making it the best overall option on our list.
- Material: Soft Foam, EPS foam core, HDPE High Impact Bottom
- Overall Size: 42″ x 22″ x 5.75″
- Weight: 7.35 lbs
- Max User’s Weight: Suitable for adults
- Max User’s Height: Suitable for adults
Goplus Super Lightweight Bodyboard – Best Budget
- Equipped with 60/40 rails, rear channels, and a crescent tail
- Works well with all types of waves: ocean, swimming pool, river, water park
- Made with premium materials, including an XPE covered deck
- Able to withstand significant impacts and is water-resistant
- Comes with a leash and wristband
As its name suggests, the Goplus Super Lightweight Bodyboard won’t weigh you down while you’re enjoying the waves. Being lightweight makes the Goplus highly portable, making it easy to put on a bodyboard bag and take it with you wherever you go. Don’t mistake its lightweight for flimsiness. This board is made of premium materials, making it quite durable.
The board’s EPS core ensures it won’t break or deform easily. It is highly intuitive, and its 60/40 rails, rear channels, and crescent tail make it easy to control along with excellent speed and maneuverability in all conditions. The high-density polyethylene gives the board stiffness, flexibility, and speed.
The Goplus makes riding waves a breeze. Increasing speed and strength is easy, making it an excellent bodyboard for beginners and advanced users. The Goplus delivers a lot at a great price point, making it our best budget bodyboard.
- Material: XPE, EPS, HDPE
- Overall Size: 37” x 19” x 2.36″/41” x 20” x 2.36″ (L x W x H)
- Weight: 1.7 lbs/2 lbs
- Max User’s Weight: 122 lbs/188 lbs
- Max User’s Height:55”/71”
Bo-Toys Bodyboard – Best Lightweight
- Highly durable bodyboard made with High-Density Polyethylene
- Features a super slick bottom with channels and a crescent tail
- Made with heat lamination, impact-resistant
- 60/40 rails for maximum maneuverability in all wave conditions
- Lightweight with an EPS core for increased speed and strength
The Boy-Toy Bodyboard is one of the lightest bodyboards on our list, weighing in at only 1.2lbs. At 33″, it’s a compact board that gives the user great functionality out on the waves. The board comes equipped with 60-40 rails, which give you great control at various speeds and enhanced safety.
Its great control means you won’t have to worry about crashing into another swimmer or surfer while on this board. The Boy-Toy can handle just about any waves you’re likely to encounter while bodyboarding. Its unique design makes it highly maneuverable and provides you with a lot of stability in the water.
Although the board is relatively light, it’s very stable. You won’t have to worry about the board flying up from under you while you’re out on the waves. The board is made of high-quality materials and comes with an EPS core that adds heft and durability. It also features heat lamination technology, which increases the board’s strength and prevents scratches.
Its great control and lightweight make it the easiest bodyboard to carry on our list.
- Material: EPS/HDPE
- Overall Size: 31 x 2.2 x 18 inches
- Weight: 1.22 Pounds
- Max User’s Weight: Suitable for adults
- Max User’s Height: Suitable for adults
GYN Trade Legendary Pro X Bodyboard – Most Resistant
- The heat sealing process used to bond layers results in a solid and stiff board
- Hard, slick bottom with detachable wrist leash located at the bottom of the board
- Designed for beginners and experienced bodyboarders
- Lightweight construction makes it easy to carry with you
- Durable and sturdy build with crescent tail stands up to almost any waves
The GYN Trade Legendary Pro X bodyboard’s superior construction makes it stand out in the crowd. The bodyboard is heat-sealed, unlike most bodyboards that are glued together. Heat sealing makes the GYN Trade Legendary an extremely durable, strong, and stiff board. As a bonus, you won’t have to worry about bubbles forming on your board.
When you buy this bodyboard, you’re purchasing a board that will hold up to a lot of wear and tear. The GYN Trade Legendary bodyboard performs well in diverse wave conditions and all types of weather. The board’s lightweight and sleek design is striking and is optimal for smooth body surfing.
There’s a wrist leash at the bottom of the board that provides extra stability while you’re out in the water. The board’s crescent tail allows for excellent speed and stability, making it an ideal choice for beginners and pros. The board comes in two sizes, so it’s suitable for children and adults.
This bodyboard will stand up to just about anything you or mother nature throw at it, making it our list’s most resistant bodyboard.
- Size: 33 x 2 x 16 inches for riders 3-5′ up to 150lb
- Size 42 x2.3 x 22′ inches for riders heights 5.5- 6.2′ up to 220lb.
WOOWAVE Bodyboard – Best Extra Features
No products found.
No products found.
- Equipped with 60/40 rails to handle diverse wave conditions
- Tough wrist leash to keep you attached to the board with a comfortable cuff
- Made with highly durable materials, including an EPS core and an HDPE slick bottom
- Heat-sealed EVA surface for incredible speed and a water-resistant core
- Board offers excellent control and is suitable for children and adults
Woowave’s Bodyboard’s slick bottom makes it an excellent choice for smoothly gliding over waves. The lightweight board comes equipped with 60/40 rails making it effortless to control in varying wave conditions. The board is made from high-quality materials with a water-resistant EPS core.
The board comes with a leash and a pair of fin tethers. It’s a heavy-duty leash with a urethane cord that’s coiled to prevent tangles. The Woowave is heat-sealed instead of traditional glue, making it less likely to crack than other boards.
The board’s coiled leash and fin tethers make it the best bodyboard with extra features on our list.
- Material: EPS Core, HDPE Slick Bottom
- Overall size: 41 x 20 x 1.96 inches
- Weight: 1.75 lbs
- Maximum weight capacity: 85 kg (188 lbs)
- Maximum height: 5’9” (165 – 175 cm)
GYMAX Super Lightweight Bodyboard – Best Value
- XPE covered deck, waterproof, weather and impact resistant
- Highly durable with an EPS core and smooth HDPE bottom to lessen friction while
- Extremely lightweight, making it easy to take with you wherever you surf
- Super buoyancy allows you to use it in the ocean, river, water park, or swimming pool
- Plug for attaching wrist rope to your wrist or ankle to keep it from washing away
The GYMAX superlight bodyboard isn’t the lightest bodyboard on our list, but it’s quite light at 1.5lbs in its smallest model. It’s one of the most buoyant bodyboards we’ve reviewed, making it great for gliding across waves, whether in the ocean or your local waterpark. Its lightweight makes it easy to carry with you to any of your surfing destinations.
Attaching the included leash to your wrist or ankle will keep the board from washing away when you’re surfing big waves. Well-built and sturdy, it has a solid load-bearing capacity. Be sure to check out the weight limitations for the various sizes in the specifications below. Given it comes in three sizes, it’s an excellent bodyboard for children and adults.
The bodyboard’s 60/40 rails give you superior control, allowing you to turn the board quickly. The board is stable, making it unlikely to flip up from under you while you’re riding the waves. Its crescent tail and linear design make it easy to stand and lie on the board. Both beginners and advanced surfers can use this board, providing a fun and stable ride.
The board’s affordable price and excellent features make it the best bodyboard value on our list.
- Material: XPE, EPS, HEPE
- Overall Size: 33” x 19” x 2.36’’/37” x 19” x 2.36’’/41” x 20.5” x 2.36’’ (L x W x H)
- Weight: 1.5 lbs/ 1.7 lbs/1.9 lbs
- Max User’s Weight: 89 lbs/ 122 lbs/189 lbs
- Max User’s Height: 47.5”/ 55”/71”
South Bay Board Co. – Onda 42″ Bodyboard – Best for Beginners
- Extremely impact resistant due to its reinforced diamond weave netted HDPE bottom
- Equipped with preinstalled leash plug and coiled leash
- Crescent tail makes bodyboard buoyant speedy
- Lightweight EPS closed foam core
- Built with highly durable materials
If you’re new to bodyboarding or are gifting a bodyboard to a beginner, South Bay Board Co.’s Onda 42″ bodyboard is worth a closer look. Designed specifically for beginners, the board is easy to use, allowing new surfers to learn the basics of bodyboarding quickly.
This board’s diamond weave netted HDPE bottom deck makes it highly impact-resistant, making it difficult to damage. It’s also very buoyant, gliding smoothly across the waves. It has a classic crescent shape, making the board speedy. The board is lightweight, so you can easily carry it with you to all of your surfing destinations.
This lightweight, fast, and super buoyant bodyboard has all the features newbies need in a new bodyboard, making it our list’s best bodyboard for beginners.
- Dimensions: 42” x 22″ x 2.5” a
- Max User’s Weight: 200lbs
- Standard bodyboard shape
Custom X Titan XPE Crescent Tail Bodyboard – Best Premium Bodyboard
- Offers premium bodyboard features at a moderate price
- Bodyboard can be used prone or as a drop-knee bodyboard
- Made from premium materials with a high-grade Surlyn slick plastic bottom
- Highly durable, designed for everyday use
- Equipped with 60/40 double rails for increased control
The Custom X Titan is the priciest bodyboard on our list. Still, it’s moderately priced and packed with features usually only found on costlier models. Constructed with premium materials, this bodyboard has channels with a Surlyn Slick bottom. Surlyn is the top-of-the-line plastic for slick bottom bodyboards, allowing the bodyboard to glide seamlessly across the waves.
Advanced users will love the amount of control the Custom X Titan gives them, allowing them to perform aerial moves, 360s, and high-speed bottom turns with ease. The double rails at 60/40 on this board give it some of the speed you sacrifice with a 60/40 rail ration back.
The board feels highly stable, and the crescent tail increases your control while surfing. This bodyboard is an excellent choice for experienced bodyboards but works for beginners too. The Custom Titan X gives you premium features at a moderate price, making it our list’s best premium bodyboard.
- Material: Surlyn slick bottom with Polyethylene core
- Overall Size: 41″ x 19″ x 3″
- Weight: 4.55 lbs
- Max User’s Weight: Suitable for large adults
- Max User’s Height: Suitable for large adults
Own the Wave ‘Wave Weapon’ Bodyboard – Best Family Option
- Comes in three sizes, making it easy to find a board for your height and weight
- Equipped with a lightweight and sturdy EPS core
- Crescent tails with rear channels at the bottom for speed and stability while riding waves
- Premium coiled Own the Wave leash included in the package
- HDPE Slick bottom for durability
Designed for bodyboard enthusiasts looking to attack the waves, the Wave Weapon is an excellent option for anyone looking for a complete bodyboarding package. When you purchase the Wave weapon, you get Own the Wave’s premium coiled leash and tethers for your fins.
The board’s intuitive design allows you to take control of your bodyboarding experience. Its HDPE slick bottom provides durability and allows riders to glide over the waves with little effort. The crescent tail gives riders the speed they want when riding a wave, and its EPS core gives you great control while out in the water.
Own the Wave backs the Wave Weapon bodyboard with a 12-month guarantee. If anything goes wrong during those first 12 months, they’ll replace your board or refund your money. Given all of its sizing options, this board is our list’s best bodyboard for the family.
- Material: EPS core
- Overall Size: 33″ x 18″ x 3″
- Weight: 1.6 lbs
- Max User’s Weight: 65 lbs
- Max User’s Height: 4′
What to Look for When Buying a Bodyboard
Choosing the right bodyboard is essential whether you’re an expert bodyboarder or just getting started with this exciting sport. Given the number of bodyboards on the market, deciding which bodyboard to buy can be overwhelming. This section will explain what characteristics you should look for in a bodyboard.
Choose the Right Size and Shape for Your Body
For the optimal bodyboarding experience, you must choose a bodyboard with the right length and width for your weight and height.
For example, heavier riders should look for a board with more width, a thicker tail, and more tail width than average boards. Smaller riders may have a difficult time navigating a board that’s too large for them.
To determine if a bodyboard is the right size for you, stand up with the board in front of you. The board’s nose should reach the top of your hip or your navel. If you’re purchasing your bodyboard online, take your body’s measurements to determine whether the board you’re considering is the appropriate length for your body.
Heavy riders and those who surf in stronger waves should prioritize buoyancy. Wider boards with somewhat wider tails and thicker cores are ideal for those looking for more floatation.
Medium Width Boards
These are excellent all-around boards for riders who don’t need extra buoyancy because of their lighter weights or if they prefer surfing in areas with weaker waves. If you’re a bigger user, you will need a bit more push to use these boards.
These are the fastest boards you can buy, so if you want speed, narrow is the best way to go.
However, it’s hard to pull off impressive moves using these boards at slower wave speeds. As you can imagine, they don’t work well in small and weak surf.
Choosing the Bodyboard’s Core
Many buyers overlook the importance of the bodyboard’s core when choosing a bodyboard. If you’ll be riding primarily in cold water, you’ll want to choose a bodyboard with a soft core that allows for more flexibility. Using a stiff bodyboard in cold water may cause problems with edge control.
In contrast, using a soft bodyboard in warm water risks your board being too flexible, decreasing the board’s speed and control.
Polyethylene Foam (PE) and Polypropylene Foam (PP)
PE and PP are the main types of core materials used in today’s bodyboards. PE is more commonly used in bodyboards, especially those designed for surfing in cooler waters. Although PE is substantially heavier than PP, it is much more flexible than PP, giving riders more control in cold water.
Warm water riders should choose bodyboards with PP cores. These boards are lighter and stronger than their PE equivalents, offering a faster ride with more speed when turning. They also maintain their shape better than PE boards, making them more durable.
PP boards tend to be longer than PE boards. If you’ll do most of your riding in cool waters, PE boards will be your best option. If you’ll be riding in warmer waters, go with a PP board.
When shopping for bodyboards, you’ll often come across the term slick bottoms. Bodyboards manufacturers offer boards with either Surlyn or high-density polyethylene (HDPE) bottoms. All of the boards we reviewed besides the Custom Titan XPE come with HDPE bottoms.
Surlyn bottoms are considered superior to HDPE boards, but both perform well in all types of wave conditions.
Boards made with Surlyn bottoms have incredible flexural stiffness, allowing them to adjust to the wave’s curve based on the pressure applied by the rider. Surlyn is an extremely tough material, so tough it’s used to cover golf balls. You’ll find Surlyn on high-end bodyboards.
HDPE slick bottoms are more commonly used on entry-level and boards designed for beginners. This material performs well for smaller and lighter riders because it puts less pressure on the bodyboard. HDPE is an excellent choice if you’re looking for great value for the money as you increase your bodyboarding skill.
Our clear winner for the best bodyboard is the Wavestorm 40″ Bodyboard. The Wavestorm provides superior performance at a great price. As if that wasn’t enough, when you purchase the Wavestorm bodyboard, you’re getting two outstanding bodyboards for your money. This bodyboard provides a great experience for beginners and advanced riders.
Our runners-up are the Goplus Super Lightweight Bodyboard and Bo-Toys Bodyboard, which also provide outstanding performance for riding waves in all conditions. With this list, we’re confident you’ll find the best bodyboard for your unique needs.